Chapter Application Information
Welcome to BCW, a local chapter of Sisters in Crime. We are a writers’ group interested in the mystery genre. As a member of BCW you would be joining a group of over 3,500 authors, readers, fans, librarians, booksellers, editors, and agents actively seeking to promote and strengthen the presence and voice of women mystery writers. And yes, we invite and encourage active membership and participation by men and women alike.
We welcome people from all backgrounds, regardless of religion, age, race, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, citizenship, medical condition, genetic information, or any other relevant characteristic. Consequently, Sisters in Crime will not tolerate and strives to be free of any discrimination, abuse, or harassment based on these, or any other, factors.
Membership dues for BCW are $20.00 annually and include: attendance at our monthly meetings featuring local and regional speakers on the craft of writing, publishing, self-promotion, forensics, investigations, and other topics of interest to mystery, thriller, and suspense writers; reduced rates for our field trips, workshops, and conferences; the opportunity to share ideas, brainstorm and network with local writers, editors and publishers; recognition for members’ work; opportunities to share expenses with other local writers traveling to out-of-town conferences; and having a great time with like-minded people.
Joining the national Sisters in Crime organization is required in order to join our local chapter. If you are not already a member you can submit your application and view associated benefits at our website.
BCW members can attend our monthly meetings at no charge. We understand that some people may elect not to join the national organization and our local chapter but would still like to attend our monthly meetings. Non members are always welcome to attend monthly meetings.
Non-members are invited to attend one meeting for free, but after that there will be a charge of $10 per meeting.
We hope to see you soon at an upcoming meeting. In the meantime, if you have questions, please feel free to contact us.
We hope you will join us and find support from our local and thriving writing community. To be a current member and receive the benefits Buckeye Crime Writers (formerly Sisters In Crime Columbus Ohio) offers, please adhere to our code of conduct.
- Applicants must maintain a current annual membership with the national chapter of Sisters in Crime to be eligible for local chapter membership.
- Please try us out for one or two meetings for free to see if our group is a great fit for you. If you attend more than two meetings, please consider joining our writing group to continue to receive the benefits we offer.
- Please be professional and refrain from personal agendas at the BCW meetings. Meetings are to support Sisters in Crime writers and not for recruitment of guest speakers and current members for other writing groups.
Membership and Confidentiality Agreement
- Buckeye Crime Writers welcomes people from all backgrounds, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, citizenship, medical condition, genetic information, or any other relevant characteristic. Buckeye Crime Writers will not tolerate and strives to be free of any discrimination, abuse, or harassment based on these, or any other, factors. I agree to uphold these ideals.
- I understand that all writing of any kind submitted by any member or guest of the BCW chapter for consideration by any one or more member(s) of the chapter is COPYRIGHTED, which means that the author of each written work, whether completed or incomplete, regardless of its stage of publication, owns the work. I agree not to steal another author’s work by copying or closely imitating it.
- I agree to accept critique feedback without arguing or getting angry. I agree to be honest but kind in all my comments about others’ work.
- I understand that all feedback submitted via critique is for my consideration, but that final decisions about what, if any, changes are to be made to my work will be mine alone.
- I agree to ignore rude comments, if they should arise.
- I agree that I will not instigate or participate in any legal action for libel and/or slander taken against the chapter and/or any one or more of its members.
- I agree to conduct myself in a mature, professional manner at all times relating to the chapter.
- I understand that BCW reserves the right to remove and ban anyone who breaks these rules.
~National Membership – may be paid on line via http://www.sistersincrime.org
~Chapter Membership – $ 20 (for 2020) – is due annually by Jan. 1.
- All Chapter dues must be accompanied by a completed application form (please see link below for both new and renewing members).
- A signed confidentiality agreement.
- A check, money order, or cashiers check, or PayPal submission, in the appropriate amount.
- Completed applications, confidentiality agreements and fees may be given to the chapter treasurer during any BCW event or mailed to:
P.O. Box 655
Worthington, OH 43085
- Networking and support from fellow members.
- Discounts for Members: Gotham Writing Workshops, Writers’ Police Academy, Killer Nashville, and special local events.
- Member profile posted under Author page with work published traditionally or indie.
- We accept guest blog post or posts that offers insight into your writing life or craft of writing.
- Members-only special events.
Membership Application and Confidentiality Agreement can be found here.
Alternatively, you can pay via Paypal and submit the electronic application below to email@example.com. Please send us your signed confidentiality agreement.
Disclaimer: There is a small processing fee when making a payment with Paypal.